Wednesday 16 June 2010

A jar for April - in June!

To make this pretty storage jar you will need...

A jar - I used a jar from Rowse honey. To cut a long story short it took me a LONG time to remove the label. So much so I even wrote to the company to complain about the excessive use of non water-soluble glue! Sad, I know!

You will also need one small block of white polymer clay. I used Fimo Soft for the first time. I'm not sure I'd use it again, I'm used to Primo Sculpey and I find it much easier to smooth and work with, but it was all that was available in my local craft shop, so I gave it a try.
Roll just under half of your block of clay into a ball and then roll flat using an acrylic rolling pin if you have one- or a nice smooth bottle or glass if you don't. Then mould your clay around the lid of your jar. I should just point out, it must be a metal lid here and not a plastic one otherwise you'll have meltdown! Smooth out any bubbles from the center outwards.

Trim off the excess as if you were trimming pastry off a pie dish, and then smooth the edges. I wasn't too happy with the way the fimo soft smoothed - or didn't so I found some old cotton lace and pressed it all around for a nice texture.

Bake the lid as per instructions on Clay packaging.I placed my lid on a piece of paper to bake.This prevents any shiny spots from baking on a metal tray.
Meanwhile, roll out some of the clay into a thin sausage and cut yourself lots and lots of slices. Roughly about the size of a small corn kernel. Press the pieces flat. To begin the rose take one piece and elongate it a little and roll it up to form the centre of the rose.

Now add petals all around and gradually build up until you have a pretty rose. I must point out here that there are many ways to make a rose. This is just one easy method. I am sure if there are some sugarcraft experts out there, they will know of better methods and they will probably cringe at my crude attempt!

Trim the bottom off the rose with a craft knife or clay cutter. Once your lid is baked and cooled press your finished rose onto the centre of the lid using a cocktail stick. Gently press the rose in place pressing the petals with a gentle touch from your fingers. If you are worried about stickability, you could use a small drop of liquid clay to aid adhesion, but I found that the Fimo Soft is quite good and sticky.
Gradually build up your design by adding more roses. You can do this in a regimented uniform way, or like me just randomly building up the design.
You can add leaves by making a teardrop shape and adding the veins with a cocktail stick or needle. I overlapped the edge of the lid with mine.
Spaces can be filled in by adding buds made by using the first curl of the rose. Now bake your lid as per instructions, allow to cool. Add a pretty label to your jar. ( I adapted one from the Graphics Fairy.)
...And you are done! I put cotton wool in mine for the bathroom. But you could use your jar for anything. Howabout a pretty jar of homemade peppermint creams? It would make a thoughtful gift. I used plain white Fimo, but if you wanted you could make your lid a colourful arrangement of blossoms, or if you make the base in pale blue and the roses in white, you could get a charming wedgewood effect. I'd love to see what you come up with. Do let me know if you try this out.


7 comments:

  1. oh my this is a wonderful project, thanks so much for the tutorial! I can't wait to try this myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Buena idea! Me encanta como te ha quedado ¡Precioso!
    Y el tutorial de fotos es ilustrativo.
    Besitos

    ReplyDelete
  3. How in the world!?
    You make the prettiest things!
    Just gorgeous!
    Have you thought of featuring your crafts at some of the daily parties all over blogland?
    Look at the bottom of my blog and you'll see about 40 of them, some for every day of the week--people need to see what you make! You are so creative!
    Would you like a roll of beadboard wallpaper?
    Could I mail you one?
    Hugs, Creative Craft Queen!
    ~me

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks so good. nice tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the roses on the lid of this gorgeous jar! How beautiful! I also love the gorgeous French label! Thank you for always sharing so generously! Hope you have a fabulous week ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. DODA! You gotta go see my blog!
    I posted pictures of my front rooms-- I think you asked me a long, long time ago for more peeks into my red rooms--well, I posted them for ya!
    If it wasn't you that asked me that, nevermind. I'm fried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the roses are beautiful - lovely project.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.