Wednesday 14 March 2012

Vintage Paper Feather Bookmark

This is what I have been making in the last wee while. Vintage Paper Bookmarks from a Gaelic Bible from 1924. The Bible was already falling to bits so it wasn't going to be any use to anyone. Now it can take on a second life. These take a while to make. First I age the paper further with acrylic artists paints and some coffee. Then there is a fair amount of sticking and varnishing that goes on before I hand cut each feather - I don't use a pattern so each one is different. Then I wrap the ends with ribbon and embroidery floss before sealing them with a gloss varnish which makes them look like leather. The paper part is sealed with a matt varnish. I love the way they turned out. They are available in my Etsy shop.

If you'd like to get more updates and find out things that never make it to the blog, why not join my new facebook page.

3 comments:

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.