Thursday 12 June 2014

Review of Thermomorph


I was asked to do this review by Rizzi at ThermomorphThermomorph is made out of polymorph granules which are like small white pellets. When you put them in hot water they become malleable in around 5 minutes and then set rock hard at room temperature in around 10 minutes

I had actually heard of this product before and had wondered whether or not I would find it useful for my crafting, so I was delighted to be able to try it out for myself and see. 



The jar instructions show that you don't need much in the way of equipment. Just a jug or bowl for the hot water and some tongs to lift the thermomorph out of the water.


After a couple of minutes, the thermomorph did exactly what the jar said...clumped together and went clear. At this point we removed it from the water.  Here was where I discovered that it is not advisable to use plastic tongs as the Thermomorph tried it's very best to bond with them !
I would recommend metal or silicone.

There was another bit of advice missing from the jar...and it never occured to me that it could have the potential to be a sticky product....if placed on the wrong type of surface....

Don't use Thermomorph anywhere near your favourite PVC covered cotton tablecloth ! Unfortunately the Thermomorph bonded rather spectacularly with it. The next half hour was spent trying to rescue my tablecloth ! I used a hair dryer...an iron...wax paper...a scraper...but alas...the tablecloth will never be quite the same ! :-(


So...moving on...out came the silicon mat that we use for pastry making. This seemed to work just fine. Here are my little girls hands squidging the plastic. Her hands didn't stay still long enough for a decent picture - sorry!


We found that the Thermomorph does not stay soft and malleable for long enough to do any kind of satisfying sculpture. Perhaps in a warmer climate it might stay workable for longer.  We did however manage successfully to use the plastic in silicon moulds with success . This would be good for making embellishments for cardmaking etc.


 It is also quite good for making a mould and seemed to pick up all the detail from this fridge magnet. So I am thinking it will be quite good for making moulds to use when I do Polymer clay work. In fact, I am quite looking forward to trying it out with the clay.


One jar of this product is going to go a long way, so I am sure I will bring it out again sometime.

I was a bit upset about my tablecloth, but these things happen! I should have used more logic !

You can buy thermomorph at amazon here

For more info you can go to the Thermomorph website here


Have a lovely evening


Doda
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy reading all your comments.